Let’s work on setting. Here are a few simple questions to get started:
- What year/era is your story taking place (2016, 450AD, 3500bc, 2074, etc)?
- Where is your story taking place? (space, undersea, England, North Pole, California, forest, cave?)
- Is it urban or rural?
- Describe the trees/landscape/buildings/scenery?
- What sounds do you hear? (train, birds, cars, cows, wind, waves, martians?)
- Where is the pivotal point of the story? (inside a house, office, bar, park, space, ski-lift, beach, graveyard, etc)
If you get stuck, get outside – visit a coffee shop, park, etc., with a notebook. Jot down everything you see, hear, touch, feel.